Things to See & Do in Iowa
Motor Mill Historic Site
Lewis & Clark National Historic Trail
Wilder Memorial Museum
Herbert Hoover National Historic Site
Mormon Pioneer National Historic Trail
Effigy Mounds National Monument
Teaching Tips & Ideas
How I Teach a Large Family in a Relaxed, Classical Way: History
The Iowa Civics Project
Goals: The students will gain an understanding of the role of government in Iowa by:
- Understanding the constitutional foundation and structure of government in Iowa.
- Recognizing the powers and processes of each of the branches of state government.
- Recognizing the role of county, city, and school governments; and how they set policy.
- Identifying the major services provided by state and local governments.
- Identifying the major sources of revenue for state and local governments.
- Understanding the role of the political process in electing public officials at each level of government.
- Demonstrating the knowledge, skills, and leadership qualities necessary to become effective Iowa citizens.
- Understanding and recognizing that freedoms are accompanied by responsibilities and that citizens in a free society are obliged to exercise their freedoms with respect to the freedoms of other.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. We get commissions for purchases made through links on this site.